Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Cultural Revolution of China



From 1966 to 1976, were the hardest ten years of China. During that time, people couldn’t study, and the party, state and the people were the worst since the founding of frustration and loss, it’s called Cultural Revolution. It was originated by President MaoZedong, the chairman of the Communist Party of China, on May 16, 1966, officially as a campaign to rid China of its “liberal bourgeoisie” elements and to continue revolutionary class struggle by mobilizing the thoughts and actions of China’s youth. Mao was trying to close the China that made the civil war. The Cultural Revolution influenced my father especially like his education, his future job and his childhood.


The Cultural Revolution influenced my father because he couldn’t study during that time. During the Cultural Revolution, young people from the cities were forcibly moved to the countryside, where they were forced to abandon all forms of standard education in place of the propaganda teachings of the Communist Party of China. At that time, all the people were playing, singing or performing all day in the school, so no one could study at that time. If you studied, people would feel you are strange. But my father told me there were also some people studying stealthily. When they went to school, the school just taught them theories what Mao is right and how Mao is good, so my father didn’t learn anything during that time. Moreover, they recited Mao’s thinking or words all day; this was the education during that time. My father told me he always studied at night,so people would not see or find him. He used to tell me joke that he broke a lot of chairs because he was seating too much time for studying. So my father had a really hard time during the Culture Revolution.


In other words, the Cultural Revolution influenced my father’s childhood. He was a student during the Culture Revolution, so he should have had free time to play with his friends; he should have been seat in the big classroom studying. Instead, he had to work after school because China was pool at that time, so all the people had to work for country. Nevertheless, my father had to care his young brothers who are my two uncles. My grandmother always told me my father was hard-working and exhausted at that time because it was already night after works, and then he began to study. So his childhood just like this, it was so different from my childhood that I don’t need to work. That’s why my father always said you have a good time, you should study hard. Every time when he talks about his childhood, he could talk for a long time because he had a lot of feeling like he missed a lot of chance to study during the revolution. Later, when he was twenty years old, he wanted to join the army, but during the revolution, people from capitalist family were not allowed to join the army. Being a soldier is my father’s dream, but his dream didn’t come true due to the revolution.


The revolution also influenced my father future because after the Cultural Revolution, the china was chaos. At that time, everyone was looking for job. Nevertheless, you have to be good at studying. That means there was less chance to get job. So there were a lot of people couldn’t find job at that time. My father said that his friend who just knew an English word found an international job because most of people didn’t know how to speak English. During the revolution time, my father didn’t learn anything at school, but he could find a job because he studied at night at past time. Nevertheless, he didn’t like it. After that, he studied again and continued education program. I was born at that time, so he not only took care of me but also studied.


The Culture revolution influenced my father a lot in my many ways. The Cultural Revolution is the chaos time of china. Maybe much eldership hates the Cultural Revolution because it broke many people’s dream and future. Nevertheless, I asked my father that do you hate the revolution, and he said “no, because we have no ability to change the events or histories of country. I don’t hate this revolution because it changed me a lot: it made me being strong.” So a lot of people were influenced by the culture revolution, also it made a lot of people strong.

No comments: