Monday, October 20, 2008

change

Jim
Level 6
Sept13, 2008
Change

Stability is the most valuable thing in my country. I always thought my family was stable. Although I knew my life would change when I moved to America, I actually wasn’t aware that it would be so radical. Immigration would affect my three generations, and it would make me lose many things. It would not only change my employment, my home and my relationships, but also would change my language, traditional holidays and cultural values.
Language is the symbol of national status, but a changing language has made any transition to the U.S difficult. I’m from China and I have always spoken Chinese. When I moved to Chicago, I found I was surrounded by English; I immediately became a deaf and dumb person. For example, in my ESL classes, it was hard for me to understand the American language and it was difficult for me to make Americans understand me. English was our only form of communication, my teachers often said“Don’t speak Chinese, it is impolite.” In addition, without knowing English, I can’t find a good job and I can only live in Chinatown. My family’s language has changed; my mother still speaks Chinese, even though she is an American citizen. My daughter speaks English at school, and she doesn’t know Chinese well. I often need to use English to explain things to her; I have to change my language in order to communicate with her. I study English most of the time and sometimes I even forget my own national language, Chinese.
Another important symbol of national tradition is holidays. Everybody knows holidays can give joy and benefits and every holiday has different meanings and history. Chinese holidays are very different from American holidays, such as the Chinese New year and Mid-August Festival; these are the most important holidays for Chinese people. Every family member will come together during the holiday; it is a way of reinforcing family ties. However, in this country sometimes we have to go to school and work during the Chinese New year and Mid-August Festival. We can’t take a break and celebrate the holiday because it isn’t an American holiday, and No Chinese person can’t take off school or work to celebrate it. My family hasn’t gotten together since I moved to the U.S. We have begun to lose our holiday which used to bring us together.
Cultural values are probably the most important part of my life, but they have changed since I came to America. In China, a successful family is three generations living together. People treat seniors with respect and take care of they until them die. In addition, children always obey their parents. So, one day when I heard my mother say that “she will move to shield senior apartment” I was surprised. My mother explained “every senior-citizen likes to move to shield senior apartment in America, I need more space to spend my golden age.” What surprised us than more my mother’s statement was my daughter’s statement. One day, she said to my wife“my teacher tells me you can’t beat me. If you do, I will call the police.” After this statement, my wife and I found our family link has beginning to break.
My family and I have recognized that immigration has changed the status of my family. My family and I have heard many stories about immigrants from my sister, my mother and the last generation. We also get information from other relatives and friends about foreign life in America. The Chinese nation is a hardworking nation. Most Chinese people can adapt to any situation. According to American values, change is a good thing and change is linked to improvement, progress and growth. We don’t need to fear change. Like Chicago history, if there had never been the great Chicago fire, it wouldn’t be the third largest city of The US. We believe, my teacher said, “there is great rebuilding after a large fall. You should build a heaven and earth in a new world”.

No comments: