Monday, October 20, 2008

Foreign Life

Moving to another country can be the opportunity of a lifetime. It can be very intimidating to live among people who speak a foreign language,who have very different customs from your native country and who have a special way of life.When you immigate to a strange country,you just like a baby and you lost your parents.You need to do everything by yourself ,nobody can help you .As a consequence,when I immgrated to America,I had special foreign life.I tried something new and did something which I never do it before.
Language is one of special things in my foreign life.When I arrived to Chicago,I was surrounded with English.This city was very different from mine.I only saw all the foreigners and foreign language.Although I learned English many years ago,now I felt I am a dumb.I didn't know how to express myself.I felt I am drown in the sea, and I couldn't find a rope.Many adults find it different to learn a new language and prefer to find friends who speak their native tongue.But for me,I don't like this way of life.So I tried to speak to the foreigners and bought things by myself.I did everything by myself.Although I am already twenty-three years old,I still go to collegethat I can learn more English.Until now, I still speak broken English,but I can communicate with others.



Custom of foreign life is another special thing for me.When people move to another country as an adult,their home country's customs are already deeply engrained in their personality,sometimes making a transition very difficult.There is a small example in my foreign life.One day,I saw a big store beside Walgreens.I entered the store,and I found there were many old things.You know,I never saw a second-hand store before.To my suprise,so many old things were sold in the second-hand store,like clothes,shoes, furniture and toys.As a chinese people,I couldn't accept to buy used things.Because I always thought it's so dirty,and you never know who used this item before.When I throught the used things,I felt so many touch my body .But I couldn't know who they are!After this time,I talked to a American friend and told her what I thought about the second-hand store.My friend told me that the second-hand stores were very simple and popular in America.Because it's very environmenta that you use the used things.I very agree with my friend.Now,Unique is one of my favorite stores.On the one hand,I maintain the custom of my own country.On the other hand,I would like to learn and follow some foreign custom which I think it are useful.



living style is the most special things in my new life.Becauce my father has a new family in theU.S.I need to live by myself in America.It's very specical for chinese people that the children liveby themselves befor they marry. Because in chinese people opinion,children should live withtheir parents until they marry.Family is the most important parts in their lifetime.They always hope the whole family can live together and never separate.So before I immgrated to America,I never thought I will live without my family.Everyting is very difficult to do at the beginning.When I lived alone,I always felt lonely.And more and more questions were appeared.I
must cook wash clothes and clear up the room.I must do everything by myself.I never know how many work need to do when you live alone.But I really felt more and more strong after I live alone.I can handld many knotty problem by myself.



I had face many special problem in my foreign life,not only language.custom and way of life,but also so many things.It's really hard for a chinese who grew up in China.If I had never immgrated to America,I wouldn't have these special experiences.I wouldn't know how to talk with foreigners.I would't shopping at a second-hand store comfortable.I wouldn't have a chance to live alone.If I never like that.Those difficulty were really useful in my lifetime. I believe moving to a new country presents a greatopportunity to learn and improve yourself.

2 comments:

Margarita Shatskikh said...

it is excellent that you find positive sides of your immigration. I hope you will find even more of them. Moreover, in US you have a great opportunity to master your English!

Anonymous said...

yea i agree with you when you say people that move to another country always want to find friends that speak thier language but i think that you will more and easily if you don't speak your language all the time.