Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lost in Translation







“Carol, would you like to be the fourth corner at my home? Alice and Ellen have been here” Josephine said happily. “Yes, I will be there in a minute” I answered without giving a second thought. “Carol, be quick” I heard other familiar voices echoed over the phone at the same time. They were awaiting me to play mahjong at that very moment. These conversations usually used to happen in the past while I lived in Hong Kong. Mahjong interlinks with social activities. It involves socializing, relationships and food. And it is a game for four players and requires skill, strategy and calculation as well as luck. That is why it is most people’s favorite hobby. Socializing, relationships and food are important parts of my life, but those have disappeared with my migration to America.

First, socializing is a significant part of society. Mahjong can be a role in our social lives. Mahjong culture is popular and ingrained in my home town, Hong Kong. For example, some families might have one or two sets of mahjong boards at home. Also, some restaurants or clubs often advertise bargain prices for one table mahjong (that means four people) with four dinners and a soup to attract their customers. Mahjong is also an essential character in wedding and birthday banquets and family gatherings. Most people come early to the party in order to play mahjong before the banquet starts. It interlinks with social and family activities. People can get to meet new friends by playing mahjong, and they might even become good friends. Usually, playing mahjong would take about four to eight hours. Talking, gossiping, exchanging current news, discussing about problems or business wouldn’t be absent while playing mahjong. Some people say “If the Hong Kong government prohibited citizens from playing mahjong, it would definitely have a riot or protest.” You see how deep this culture was influencing me as I grew up in Hong Kong.
Second, good relationships with people are a motivation of having a joyful life. My relationship with my husband’s side family and my friends are soaked with this activity. For example, mahjong highlighted my family gathering on my husband’s side .One of my brother-in-laws said that “Playing mahjong with my mom is respectful and obedient”. In fact, my mother-in-law really loves playing mahjong. She thinks that playing mahjong with her sons and daughter-in-laws brings her fortune and joy. Also, while we were playing mahjong with our friends, we would like to gossip about some celebrities, current news or family’s matters. And the final winner might show off her skill and strategy to the losers. This was just for fun. Moreover, the winner often paid the bill for our dinner. We didn’t need to go Dutch. Presently, I often receive calls from my contemporary mahjong friends who said that “Carol, can you hear the shuffling sound of tiles, would you desire to play with us……….Ha! Ha! ”. They frequently lured me over by offering their excitement and joy. They just pulled my leg. Virtually, I was really hungry for that second I would have played mahjong with them. I really enjoyed the moments we were together
.

Furthermore, food makes people happier. It could win many people’s hearts. Playing mahjong is also a favorite pastime of most people. Usually we would spend rather long hours playing this game. Food is one of the components in this activity. For instance, my mother-in-law always prepares our favorite snacks and gourmet dinner before playing mahjong. Occasionally, we would give orders to the nearby restaurant to deliver food and soup to us. Eating seafood and playing mahjong in a restaurant on the small island are the two habits that I often loved to do with my friends on weekends or holidays. However, now I can only find them in my memories, but now, I have found various delicious favorite ethnic dishes in America.
Because of my migration to America, the mahjong activity, friendship and food have faded away. Though playing mahjong exists in America, the style is so different from what we did in Hong Kong. Friendship can only be maintained by e-mail and phone call without meeting them in person .Some food can’t be found here. However, American steak could be substituted for some delicious meat in my home town. Hence, I believe that being “Lost in translation” is only a transitional period and is also a toll of my immigration. Now, I can breathe the fresh air, see the blue sky, drink the sweet tap water and study English with classmates from around the globe. It is interesting that so many classmates are from different nations. Nevertheless, while I have gained I have also lost. A good quality life is one of my pursuits. It inspires and pushes me to live in America, and it compensates what I have lost as well.

3 comments:

hellen xu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hellen xu said...

i love Mahjong also. i think Mahjong can make you smart. When i read your article, it reminds me the time my family sit in front of the fourth corner. we laugh and full of happiness.Do you always earn money?
i always lose money with this recreation.

Yoshimi said...

Your beginning of the essay was like professoinal and dramatic. I also raised in a big family, so I missed them and friends. In order not to feel lonely being here, I make full my daily schedule, so I have no time to thinking about them and memories with them. How about you, Carol?