Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Soul Visit




One of many holy days that are commemorated in Mexico is The Day of Dead, “El Dia de los Muertos.” Mexico is recognized for its unique tribute to the dead people world wide. Mexico has specific places which are typically recognized for its celebrations that usually last three to four days. During these days the city of Mexico and other states are visited by people from other countries. This is a celebration that not only happens in Mexico, but it’s also celebrated in other countries for catholic people. This day, The Day of the Dead, has a special meaning for my family and me, which is a tradition that had been passed through the generations.

The commemoration to our dead starts with a celebration. One of the first things we do on The Day of Dead is go to church. Usually, my family and I go to church early in the morning. We listen to the mass where the priest name people from our family that had have already died. After the mass is done, we pray. This ritual is usually followed from the oldest member of the family; in this occasion my grandmother will guide us. The cemetery is also important. On this special day, my family and I go to decorate our relative’s graves with flowers and candles. All this is part of the celebration. This is a tradition that I definitely want to keep; if I abandon this part of the culture, I will miss the most important part of it.


Decoration is also fundamental for The Day of the Dead celebration. A traditional altar would have seven steps in white, and each step represents levels of the soul that they must pass to reach their final destination. We place a photograph of each of our relatives that have already passed away. We also, adorner the altar with flowers that have a particular meaning. White represents the sky, yellow represents the earth, purple represents mourning, and finally the official flower that represents the custom the most, marigolds. Usually, the boys and girls from the family contribute to make the banners, which are made in different colors and styles, for example, angels, birds, and chalice. They all hang up on the ceiling around the walls. Candles and food are also part of the decoration; we light a candle for each photograph on the altar. It’s so important for me to maintain this celebration in order to pass on to my children, this way it will be worth my grandmother hopes to continuo the custom.

Finally, food is an indispensable part of this custom, which is the most colorful and enjoyable part of this celebration. Next to the photograph on the altar we put the favorite food of the person who has died. Includes enchiladas, tamales, fruit, vegetables and sweets. In addition, beverage beer, coffee, tequila and water are also placed on the altar. Water purifies the soul, and would make the path for the soul more clearly to his or her destination. That’s what my grandmother believes. Moreover, “Pan de Muerto” bread of dead is always place on the altar and not removed until the ritual is totally done. The most common shapes of bread are round. They also have colors that represent the bones of a body. In my family is a tradition to give visitors who came home during the celebration a loaf. In this case my grandmother gives a loaf to each of the visitors. It will maintain the hope of maintaining our family together as it should be even after death.

As a result, a day that should be sad for others because it is full of memories of our dead relatives, for my family is a moment to share feelings. Although most people question why is a there a celebration for a person who just passed away? For us, is a celebration for the souls that come to visit us and stay with us only for a day. A vast celebration that has been in hour family for decades must continue to go on to the generations. As an alder daughter I feel more pressure to follow the costume as closes as possible because my family believes that if I do it, my siblings will too. However, this is significant for me even though my siblings have decided not to follow it. A celebration for The Day of Dead is gratitude, a commemoration for them to be with us. After all, we will all die, which is an
irrevocable truth.

1 comment:

silvia said...

I understand you fellings because I fell the same. I think our culture is very special.It is hard to follow your own culture even if you live with your family.