Monday, October 20, 2008

A Strange Life










I come from China. I had been living in China for eighteen years before I moved to the U.S. It’s a long time. I was accustomed to the life there. I liked the sky, the air, the water and everything in China. Even though they are not better than that in the U.S. I still prefer that in China. Now, I’m living in Chicago, everything is different and difficult to control. I feel a little worried about that. It has been a hard period to assimilate into the new life in the U.S.A.
The transportation is difficult to adapt. The traffic is convenient in America. However, I felt that it was too much bother going anywhere. When I was in China, I could go everywhere by bike. I rode my bicycle to school, to the supermarket and wherever I wanted to go. It was very convenient because bicycle is the main vehicle. I enjoyed riding through the crowds. In contrast, if I want to go somewhere, I have to wait for bus and the train because I don’t have my own car. The waiting time is so boring that it’s waste of time. This problem puzzles me. I can’t go out by bike either because it’s very dangerous for me if I do that. I need more time to adapt myself to these strange circumstances.
Different studying styles are also hard to adapt. In China, I had to get up early to school and went home after dark. Our bags were too heavy to carry, and I had much homework to do. We were all very tired and feared we would get crazy one day. However, I learned a lot of things from the busy work. I used to spend most of time at school. I always studyed and played with my classmates. Now, I would enjoy most of my time at home by reading and sleeping. In fact, I feel comfortable now. I don’t have to get up early and don’t need to do a lot of homework, but I don’t know why I missed my past life now. Maybe I don’t know how to use my spare time. I had better learn to enrich my life in this new environment.
Cooking styles are the important part that difficult to adapt. I used to eat traditional food like dumplings, noodles, and rice all the time. Although we can cook ourselves now, the flavoring is not enough. I have to accept other kinds of food. Especially some food is eaten without cooking. We don’t like to eat that kind of food. We think that food should be cooked on fire before we eat them. I missed the Chinese traditional food like moon cake, rice dumplings. However enjoying American food has also been a educational interesting experience.
In a word, although there are many differences between China and America, I haven’t been able to adapt myself successfully in a short time. I will try my best to change my life, and will happy to face the problems in the future, but I hope that it won’t be difficult for me. Although these are different, they are both in one world. Now, I don’t go places by bike; I don’t spend all of my time at school, and I don’t eat traditional Chinese food all the time. However, I will miss my past life and keep it in my heart. I hope to be a competent person, who is living in a strange country and able to adapt to this new environment soon.





No comments: